The Dance to your own Tune (DToT) curriculum for 2.5 to 5 year olds has been designed from a developmental perspective: addressing young children’s cognitive, motor and affective development and is therefore a fusion of educational and developmental theory. It recognises the importance of movement for young children. This focus on movement does not imply its superiority over creativity, expression, or musicality, rather it exemplifies that movement is the medium for these elements to be developed.
DToT aims to capture and nurture the instinctive joy of movement and freedom of expression that young children possess. Through participation in a child-centred learning environment that encourages exploration, independence and social interaction, children will learn to move and learn through movement
The goals for the curriculum are:
- To enhance children’s movement abilities and physical fitness
- To aid children in becoming physically and spatially aware
- To stimulate children’s listening skills
- To encourage children’s to move expressively
- To build children’s confidence and self esteem
- To encourage children to become co-operative and sociable
This curriculum also forms the bases for shifting in the RAD Ballet Grades programme when the children have turned 5 and are attending school.